Thursday 10 February 2011

Copic Shading

Today's post is actually a small postcard I made specifically to play around with some Copic markers for shading.  I'd heard so much about these markers and their uses and decided that I would reward myself for keeping my cool in the face of extreme provocation recently.  I was able to pop into a local scrapbooking shop and found the markers - what a display!  It's practically overwhelming!  I chose a series of deepening greys as I thought they'd complement the Zentangles nicely.  Well, home I went and got out my Pigma Microns and blank postcards... I think I love the way these markers work!  I found I could get clear, crisp shading right into tight details and corners and with the graduated shades of grey I could choose to make the shadow as defined or nebulous as I thought suited my artwork.  Where have these been all my life?  I can't believe I had to be 47 to discover Copic Markers! I definitely have to make up for lost time here, so I think I'll be inflicting more examples on you soon.  What do you think of this tangle?  Don't the Copics make a pretty shading in it?
Happy Thursday!

9 comments:

  1. It turned out beautifully – the tangle as well as the shading!
    I´ve got markers similar the Copics. It´s a sixpack 'shades of grey' from Faber Castell 'PITT Artist Pens – B'. I used them already to shade booksmarks. Instead of smudging graphite on themselves and rubbing off on the pages from pencil shadings. These markers work pretty well.
    Enjoy using your great new markers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic shading!! I'm sending the link to this posting to Lone Creature - she's collecting blog posts about shading. Thanks for sharing! [Kit scurries off to find her Copic markers...]

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just added this great idea to my shading post. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. looks great stArt! Kit directed me to your page and I'll add these in, with this link, to my shading page soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmm! Beautiful touch, I can feel your excitement!

    ReplyDelete
  6. lovely postcard Christina!
    it's on my wish list at least a black copic marker i can use on acrylics,not sure i will find one here.like the shading but it would be more relevant for me if i would see the same tile shaded with the pencil too as for comparation.i want to learn more about too so i'm interested v much on your trials!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! I love the look of these markers, and I have never heard of them either. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How beautiful! You might find that your Copics' tip may get ragged if you use them on paper with 'tooth'. I use the Faber-castell Pitt pens and Tombows, and have had that happen. I think Copics are a little harder, but suspect they may still wear.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for making the effort to comment - let's talk!